Unbelievably soft jersey from our #ecofriendly @yachtclubco collection. Shop #ForGoodnessSake! http://sfndr.co/1n50jmx
Stunning and sweet swinging stripes under a corset bust. 100% silk and fully lined with adjustable straps. Wear this dress with navy blue accessories for a nautical look to impress. http://sfndr.co/1nJzl3G
Just a dose of inspiration for the day..
#IceBucketChallenge: ACTIVISM or SLACKTIVISM?
Open up your Facebook newsfeed this week, and you are sure to see a few people (ok, more than a few!) dumping ice water on their heads in the name of support for the debilitating disease, ALS, known to many as “Lou Gehrig’s Disease.”
There can be no doubt that the challenge has officially gone viral, and with it, an emerging group of naysayers that have been populating the internet, denouncing the participants with a relatively new catchphrase “slacktivism” – defined as good intentions without any real effort, any real ACTION.
We don’t deny that slacktivism – as defined this way - exists. After all, we’ve seen it here at ShopFunder as well. Amazing, heart-tugging causes and campaigns that generate tons of “likes” and “shares” but not so many volunteers, and even less donations. But we don’t let those “slacktivists” derail us. What we know to be true here at ShopFunder is true everywhere.
For every so-called slacktivist, there is a real live genuine activist. A ShopFunder raising money and awareness – for real – for life-threatening diseases, poverty, rescue animals, schools in need, endangered animals, grassroots organizations and more.
Someone like those Ice Bucket Challengers, if you must know.
Does dumping ice water really MEAN anything, you ask?
In a word, yes.
Because, according to the ALSA.org,
“As of Tuesday, August 19, The ALS Association has received $22.9 million in donations compared to $1.9 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 19). These donations have come from existing donors and 453,210 new donors to The Association.”
Twenty-one million MORE dollars for ALS cure research?
Four hundred and fifty-three thousand, two hundred and ten MORE people that give a damn about ALS?
Hey. If that’s slacktivism - sign us up.
FASHION LOOKBOOK: Girls Night Out
Every once in a while a fun night out with the girls is much needed. Whether it be to dinner or to just a bar, chances are the attire will be fancier, because that’s just what girls tend to do. So throw on this fun and flirty look and hit the town for girls night!
- Ginny Dress: This dress is the definition of “fun and flirty.” It has unexpected cut outs with frilly ruffles along the neckline and through the center of the dress. The sharp coral is a pop that will look stunning against your sun-kissed skin.
- Personalized Initial Necklace: Since the dress makes such a statement, the jewelry I chose is fairly simple. This necklace is a sweet touch to this sassy look.
- Mandala Gold Cuff: Gold and coral go together like peanut butter and jelly. This gold cuff makes a statement through its intricate detail, complementing the visually interesting cuts of the dress.
- Steve Madden ‘Wannabe’ Wedges: When I saw the coral dress with gold accessories, my mind went straight to a tan leather shoe. With gold studs and a chunky heel, this wedge only complements this look.
- Clare V. Supreme Haircalf Fold Over Clutch: My favorite accessory of this ensemble. You really cannot go wrong with a tasteful leopard print, especially on a clutch. And this clutch completes this look!
- Essie ‘Blanc’: Since the coral and gold complements summer and tan skin, I chose a white nail for that extra pop!
Call up the ladies, its time for a G.N.O, especially with this ensemble!
LOOK OF THE WEEK: Back to School
It’s that time again. The time that every student dreads. The return of 7am wake-up calls and piles of homework. It’s time to go back to school. From what I can remember, my favorite part of the back to school process was getting the ‘coolest’ school supplies and the perfect back to school outfit.
- Emma Top: For this look, I wanted to mix both casual and more ‘formal’ pieces together. After all, the first day of school is all about first impressions right?! This top with sheer sleeves adds that dressier touch, especially with the combination of the black and rich gold floral print.
- Free People Either Direction Zip Ankle Skinny: I am in love with cargo style pants. This olive color complements the black and gold of the top and adds that industrial edge that this look is missing.
- J.Crew Twin Birds Necklace: I wanted to keep the accessories simple since the top is so busy, so I opted for this simple god necklace with two birds for a delicate touch.
- Monaco Bangle: This is a texturally interesting bangle. Almost chain-like, this gold bracelet is simple and complements hard edge of the pants.
- Canvas Backpack: This backpack is the perfect back to school find. It is durable and simple that it won’t clash with any outfit you decide!
- Jeffrey Campbell ‘Carina’ Bootie: These booties are both polished and visually interesting. They are incredibly unique and combine both edge and formality.
- MAC ‘Greensmoke’ Eyeshadow: These shimmery green eyeshadow in my opinion, adds that extra special touch with a burst of green. It complements the pants while bringing the similar color up to your face.
With a look like this, going back to school won’t be as bad!
FASHION LOOKBOOK: Early Class
To be honest with you, I am not really sure how I ever got up so early for high school, because having an 8 AM in college was one of the most difficult parts of the day. I am also bewildered over the fact that some students would come fully showered and dressed to impress, because for me it was all about rolling out of bed and scrummaging for something to wear with one eye open. If an early wake up call is a struggle and you are unfortunate enough to have an 8 AM, I have put together a look that will ensure comfort and style while you run out the door.
- Illuminated Crew Sweatshirt: I have chosen this oversized crewneck sweatshirt because not only does it look extremely comfortable, but it can be thrown on over anything. If its hot in the classroom you can take it off as easily as it can be put on if its chilly.
- Reaching For The Heart Tank: I chose this simple tank as a layer to this look. I never go to class with just a tank or just a sweatshirt because you can never determine the temperature of the classroom. Plus, it is such a cute graphic tank!
- Nike Luxe Cropped Running Tights: I LOVE these! Instead of a standard black legging, these black and white patterned tights are visually interesting.
- Nike Free 5.0: Nike Frees are the shoe of choice for most college students. They are comfortable for running around campus and often come in bright colors that bring that extra pop to every look. Plus if you have some time between class you can run over to the gym for a quick workout!
- Teardrop Canvas Backpack: I go back and forth between a tote and backpack throughout the school year. I generally start with a tote when the workload is light, but often turn to a backpack when I have tons of work. This backpack is a durable canvas to withstand the wear and tear of college, and it isn’t gender specific! Anyone can find use for this!
School is approaching, and many of you may be regretting your decision on having 8 AM’s everyday, but do not fret, this simple look is perfect for throwing on as you rush to class!
LOOK OF THE WEEK: Très Chic
The Editor has chosen bags and baubles for this week’s picks, so I have put together this chic ensemble that belongs at a bustling café in France with a crêpe in hand!
- J.Crew Vintage Cotton Scoopneck Tee: I wanted to keep this look simple; effortlessly chic. Because sometimes throwing on a classic and basic look can appear more chic than being dressed to the nines. This tee is the perfect color to pair with any bottom and has a beautiful neckline.
- Topshop ‘Hayden’ Destroyed Boyfriend Jeans: The boyfriend jean is the ultimate casual-chic addition. The light wash and rips along the front give these jeans an edgier feel, while the ever so casual slouch in the wear gives this look that basic approach.
- Boho Leather Bracelet: This simple brown leather bracelet not only complements the shoes in this ensemble, but the additions of turquoise give this ensemble a more feminine touch.
- Bea Clutch: I love this simple clutch. Made of vintage European grain sacks, the rustic and ‘worn’ touch completes this look. Not to mention the pop of color in the stripes is stunning.
- Illesteva Leonard Sunglasses: This leopard shades are to die for. The round lenses are unique and in my opinion, add to the European-chicness.
- MAC ‘Viva Glam Rihanna’ Lipstick: A great touch to this androgynous ensemble. The pop of red is harsh, while adding a complementary detail to the clutch.
- Sam Edelman ‘Irving’ Brogue Oxford Flat: Did you borrow your boyfriend’s shoes too?! These brown leather oxfords exude masculinity, however with the contrasting feminine details in the rest of the look, it works.
This look is beautiful with its juxtaposition. The mix of masculine with feminine details makes this look effortlessly chic, and I love every part of it!
FASHION LOOKBOOK: Heat Wave
Lately, Southern California has been smoldering. I can only imagine how hot it is on the east coast with the intense humidity. When the weather is sticky the last thing that you want is clingy clothing and accessories that cause your arms to sweat profusely. I have put together a look that I think will ensure your comfort when the heat sets in.
- Sydney Dress: This frock is bright and white! The lighter colors won’t absorb the heat as much, and the vivid yellow truly depicts the summertime sunshine. The flowy skirt is perfect for the summer head because it is non-restricting and allows for a bit of a breeze!
- 'Passioned Unleashed' Necklace: This long necklace mostly lays on the dress, so the only part that is really touching your skin is the thin chain. I also love the simplicity of the wire wrapped stone and little beads attached.
- Gold Filled Tiny Hammered Drop Earrings: I think these little touches of gold are the perfect complement to the other gold accessories of the look. They are subtle and delicate, but are a worthy addition.
- Alyssa Turquoise & Gold Bangle: I wanted to bring in a secondary pop of color to this look. I those a loose bangle instead of a cuff so that it doesn’t stick to your arm. I last think that this beautiful turquoise complements the yellow of her dress as well as the other gold jewelry.
- Sam Edelman ‘Gigi’ Sandal: My favorite summer sandal. They can be thrown on with almost anything regardless if the look your are going for is casual or more formal.
- Essie ‘Cascade Cool’: A great summer pink. Summer is all about bright colors, so you really cannot go wrong with this bubblegum pink.
This look cannot protect you from the summer heat, but it can help to ensure your comfort while looking good!
LOOK OF THE WEEK: His & Hers, A Day At Sea
I love a day on the water. There is something about the serene and calming effect waves drifting under you can bring. For a day of sunshine and relaxation on the boat, a nautical inspired outfit is much needed.
- Sand Original Dolman Tee: This tee is the perfect cover-up. It is lightweight in material so it is not confining, while still providing the necessary coverage from the burning sun.
- Free People Florence Tied Sides One piece: I love this bathing suit. Not only are the white and blue color combination the epitome of nautical, but the ties along the side offer a visually appealing addition.
- Free People High Rise Steamed Cut Off: I have paired this nautical combo with a pair of denim cut offs. They are great for throwing on over a bathing suit with a loose fitting tee.
- Sterling Silver Anchor Necklace: An anchor necklace is very appropriate for a day on the water. Nothing says nautical like an anchor.
- Nautical Refuse to Sink Ring: To complement the silver anchor necklace is this matching ring with an inspiring message. The accessories are minimal, but add subtle nautical touches.
- Birkenstock Arizona in Black Leather: The perfect sandal. They are comfortable, durable and exude a laid back quality. In my opinion, they complete this look.
- Stars Baseball Tee: For him, this red white and blue shirt is perfect for when the winds pick up. It is light and easy to throw on or take off to catch in the rays.
- Hurley Phantom One & Only Boardshort: The Phantom suits are great quality and you cannot go wrong with a classic black suit.
- Sperry Authentic Original Men’s Boat Shoe in Sahara Leather: The ultimate boating shoe. Literally, they were meant for being on the boat so I really could not think of anything more appropriate.
- Nautical Anchored Love Hand Stamped Coasters: For Him & Her, these coasters are perfect for a day at sea and a drink in your hand!
With summer coming to an end, catching those last few rays with a nautical inspired look couldn’t be any better.